I have been a sugar addict my entire life. Growing up I used to say that I wished that cake was a separate food group because I wanted to eat it all day. In college I used to "snack" on Swedish fish while studying and drank soda as if it was going out of style. Needless to say, I used to eat a lot of sugar and certainly had my favorites.
Unfortunately, my sugar habits caught up with me in regards to weight gain, low energy, and knee pain that affected every part of my life. As a result, I changed my diet dramatically and began by removing refined sugar. However, my sugar cravings didn't disappear completely. I knew I needed to do something differently or else I would fall back into my old habits.
I began exploring whole food based desserts and one of my favorite non dairy and delicious recipes is coconut whipped cream. It is especially delicious on top of fruit. Here is how I make it.
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk or 1 can of coconut cream
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup if additional sweetness is needed
- Place coconut milk or cream in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Freeze a metal mixing bowl for at least 10 minutes before you want to make your coconut whipped cream.
- Open can of coconut milk or cream. The coconut cream will separate and float to the top leaving the coconut milk on the bottom. Take a large spoon and remove coconut cream putting it in the mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and mix with hand mixer at medium to high speed until coconut cream thickens.
- Taste and and determine if maple syrup is necessary.
- Serve and enjoy. Will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Cocoa powder
- Chopped nuts
I highly suggest you try this out and let me know what you think or any other additions you make!